About Independence Charter School - Center City (ICS- CC)
Independence Charter School (ICS) is a community-based K-8 public charter school of academic excellence, centrally located in Philadelphia and serving a diverse community of learners. ICS provides an intellectually-stimulating curriculum with a global focus designed to develop independent, thoughtful global citizens. We emphasize second language acquisition and integrate arts, ideas, and histories from around the world. Independence Charter School fosters equity and excellence in learning by embracing global citizenship, bilingual education, rigorous academics, and creative expression through the arts.
Independence Charter School – Center City (ICS- CC) is a K-8 Philadelphia citywide admission charter focused on academic excellence, second language acquisition and developing global citizens. ICS is now recruiting culturally proficient educators to join the 2023-2024 staff. This is a full-time teaching position. Work is performed under the supervision of the principal.
JOB SUMMARY: To plan, organize and implement a culturally responsive instructional program in an 5th Grade Math and Science learning environment that guides and encourages students to develop and fulfill their academic potential.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans and instructional materials that facilitate active learning within a culturally responsive approach to teaching and learning in the areas of Math and Science.
- Instruct and monitor students in the use of learning materials and equipment. (Class size 23-25 students).
- Use relevant technology to support and differentiate instruction.
- Manage student behavior in the classroom by creating an environment of belonging and positive relationships and by establishing and enforcing rules and procedures within a structured environment.
- Monitor the progress of individual students and use information to adjust teaching strategies.
- Maintain accurate and complete records of students’ progress and development.
- Participate in department, school and parent meetings.
- Communicate necessary information regularly to students, colleagues and parents regarding student progress and student needs.
- Participate in appropriate professional development activities.
Knowledge Skills and Ability Required:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A/B.S degree in teaching from an accredited college or university.
- Pennsylvania State certification in teaching in appropriate subject area: Elementary Education K-6, or Grades 4-6 Math and Science, or Middle Level Math and Science
- Demonstrated cultural responsiveness and skill in encouraging students from diverse backgrounds to feel a sense of belonging and creating a safe space where they feel respected, heard, and challenged.
- Demonstrated understanding, appreciation and compassion for students who learn differently
- Commitment to ICS values of equity, courage, community, and growth
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to report to work on a regular and punctual basis.
Regularly required to sit, stand, walk, talk, hear, operate a computer, hand-held learning devices and other office equipment, reach with hands and arms, and must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
If interested in this position, email a cover letter and resume, including all current or in-process PA certifications and clearances to firstname.lastname@example.org
School TypePublic Charter