About Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School
We believe every student is gifted and has specific intelligences that must be nurtured. Providing students with equal opportunity for learning and discovery and development of their innate potentials, through String Theory Schools’ unique and rigorous curriculum blending academic and artistic excellence, we enable our students to become the next generation of creative leaders.
String Theory Schools (Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School and
Philadelphia Charter School for Arts & Sciences) is seeking applicants for anticipated
full-time Academic Dean position(s). At String Theory Schools, students engage in a unique
educational environment designed to grow the next generation of creative leaders, and
where students focus on the arts and sciences as major subjects alongside a
technology-infused, project-based, standards- and competency-driven academic curriculum.
Our Academic Deans are creative, passionate, professional educators that believe every
student has specific intelligences that must be nurtured and that all students should have an
equal opportunity to achieve their own innate potential.
The Academic Dean improves student outcomes by interfacing with teachers to facilitate
best practices in teaching and learning through developing and conducting professional
development sessions, conducting observation and feedback cycles, providing
job-embedded, student-centered coaching, and collaborating with the school leadership
team to make key instructional, talent management, and curriculum decisions. This position
reports to the Chief Academic Officer or Principal of the campus to which they are assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
String Theory Schools leadership candidates…
● are passionate about creative arts and sciences
● are undaunted by urban challenges and dynamic change
● value multi-disciplinary collaboration
● know technology can transform learning experiences
● apply feedback and constructive criticism with grace
● understand that hard work and fun are not mutually exclusive
● accept responsibility for student growth
● not only think outside the box, but can find compelling reasons why the box isn’t
● Able to motivate, coach, and compel positive change in instructional practices.
● Committed to implementing the Mission, Vision, Philosophy, and Design Elements
of String Theory Schools.
● Develop and monitor a coaching process that establishes clear expectations
aligned to instructional standards and pedagogy, provides for staff development,
and follows through to resolve performance issues.
● Supervise and evaluate instruction in the spirit of continuous improvement using
knowledge of educational practices, research, and national/state/local initiatives.
● Support teachers to define and deliver an effective, consistent curriculum aligned
to Meaningful Learning, including implementation of Project-Based Learning and
● Build relationships with administrators, teachers, students and families through
thoughtful and frequent communication
● Experience working in diverse settings and/or commitment to improving one’s own
● Analyze and regularly use both qualitative and quantitative data to inform your
● Cultivate higher order thinking skills through inquiry
● Coach in an environment with best-in-class technology resources and a physical
framework designed with innovative learning in mind
● Competitive salary, retirement, and health benefits (for both you and your family)
● Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree in Education or Related Field
● PA Instructional II Certification or Supervisor Certification required
● PA Certification – Principal PK-12 preferred
● Criminal history, child abuse and FBI clearances (Acts 34, 151 and FBI)
Job FunctionAdministrative Support
School TypePublic Charter