About Germantown Friends School
Germantown Friends School is a Quaker, independent, co-educational day school, serving early childhood -12th grade. Located in northwest Philadelphia, the school is home to a vibrant intellectual community, located in a historic neighborhood, serving a diverse school community, with a robust educational program that is grounded in Quaker principles. For more information about the school, visit www.germantownfriends.org.
Status: Full-time, 12-month, Non-exempt
Reporting Leader: Directors of College Counseling
Germantown Friends School is seeking an Assistant/Associate Director for the College Counseling Office to support a caseload of students through all aspects of the college admissions process. Title and salary are commensurate with experience.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Counseling caseload of individual students and families from 10th grade onward on the college admissions process, including providing academic advisement. Learning each student’s interests, abilities, talents, needs, and ambitions in connection with college or university study. Advising students about co-curricular opportunities that support their passions and strengths.
- Discover and collect information about students relating to academics, athletics, co-curriculars, background, and social life as a framework for writing detailed counselor recommendations and/or references for each student as needed.
- Coordinate the timely delivery of school documents to university admissions offices and other third parties as needed. Keeping accurate and meticulous student and college profiles using Cialfo software and other administrative systems, such as Google Suite.
- Provide financial-aid counseling to families.
- Assist in the development and sharing of staffing responsibilities for events and workshops that build education around the college application process.
- Support Directors with reporting and data processes.
- Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of colleges and universities by participating in representative visits and by visiting colleges to develop relationships with admissions representatives as appropriate.
- Maintain affiliations with professional organizations in support of the College Counseling program (e.g. NACAC, NAIS, PACIS), engage in professional development to keep current on higher education and college admissions trends, and attend regional and national conferences.
- Other duties as assigned by the Directors of College Counseling.
DEI and Scholarship Coordinator
- Serve as College Counseling Office lead on all aspects of the college admissions process related to DEI. Partner and liaison in support of school-wide DEI initiatives. Partner with external agencies as appropriate.
- Coordinate office efforts regarding scholarship support throughout the college application process.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in a related field preferred. Direct experience in college admissions or school counseling preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel) and Google Suite required.
- Knowledge of educational and college counseling software/programs a plus (e.g. Cialfo, Common App,
College Board, ACT).
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; ability to prioritize projects, work independently, and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to interact with kids with good humor and patience, as well as with parents, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills. Strong writing and attentive listening skills are essential.
- Willingness to work some nights and weekends.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact info of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Assistant/Associate Director, CCO” in the subject line.
Germantown Friends School is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity in its student body, faculty and staff. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status. People demonstrating a commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in education are encouraged to apply. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.germantownfriends.org.
Job FunctionStudent and School Support