About Independence Mission Schools (IMS)
Independence Mission Schools (IMS) educate students of all faiths living throughout Philadelphia. Our inspiring new network of 14 schools blends the best of Catholic education with innovative teaching strategies designed to meet the unique learning needs of all students.
Since our inception in 2012, our enrollment has grown over 20%, our students are outperforming 80% of their neighboring public and charter schools in Reading, and we have received increasing recognition as a network that successfully integrates faith, character, and academics to create warm, energizing schools that are sustainable for students, staff, and community. Ultimately, IMS recognizes that our students are on track to make their own choices in pursuit of college and career opportunities because they are on grade level academically and enrolled in a high-quality high school.
Independence Mission Schools is seeking candidates for a Deputy Chief of HR role. The Deputy Chief of HR is tasked with managing all aspects of Human Resources within our network. This position requires location flexibility between the 14 Philadelphia school locations and central office. The ideal candidate must be highly motivated, extremely organized and have the willingness to learn.
Perks of IMS: Teachers at IMS enjoy ongoing development through coaching, mentorship, and professional development and a benefits package that matches 403b contributions, provides low-cost healthcare, and guarantees paid sick time and personal time. Learn more here.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversees employee life cycles from talent acquisition to separation
- Manages Talent Recruitment Specialist and HR generalists
- Updates the Operations handbook yearly
- Facilitates talent and performance management training for school leaders
- Keeps detailed notes on all investigations pertaining to child abuse, discriminination, staff and parent confrontations and parish relationship concerns
- Receives FMLA requests, leave of absences and ADA protections and accommodations
- Advises on all legal matters
- Partners with Beacon for annual benefit renewal process and supports during open enrollment period
- Ensures verification of employment for new hires and payroll setup
- Manages COVID-19 contract tracing and policy plans
- Advises on student disciplinary matters including the facilitation of parent meetings
- Ensures compliance with Safe Environment Protocols
- Collects documents such as teacher observations, staff memos and other employment related documentation on a quarterly basis
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize, and execute on complex and detail-oriented concurrent projects, sometimes with quick turnaround
- Ability to think analytically and critically in order to draw conclusions, offer recommendations, and provide summary data with confidence
- Proven ability to work with a team in both in-person and remote settings, and to evaluate user needs, requests, and problems
- Strong familiarity or experience with the workings of a nonprofit organization, particularly in the area of human resources
- Maintain a positive customer service-oriented mentality when managing requests and communicating with other stakeholders
Note: Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change.
EOE: IMS is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and celebrates staff diversity. We strive to be and build a diverse team that is representative of our students and the communities in which we serve. If you identify as an individual of color, we highly encourage you to apply!