About Germantown Friends School
Germantown Friends School is a Quaker, independent, co-educational day school, serving early childhood -12th grade. Located in northwest Philadelphia, the school is home to a vibrant intellectual community, located in a historic neighborhood, serving a diverse school community, with a robust educational program that is grounded in Quaker principles. For more information about the school, visit www.germantownfriends.org.
Germantown Friends School is seeking a Director of Communications and Marketing who will be responsible for furthering the school’s strategic goals – particularly in the areas of fundraising and admissions – by developing and executing an annual marketing and communications plan. Key areas of focus include branding and awareness, media relations and publicity, digital marketing, and publications. The Director manages a staff of approximately 4-5 people within the Advancement Department, serving as a strategist and partner to all areas of the school on communications-related issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop annual communications and marketing strategy, initiatives, plans, and project priorities that further the goals of raising the school’s profile and advancing its strategic objectives.
- Develop a cohesive and compelling narrative that communicates the school’s vision and ongoing efforts to realize it.
- Advise/coordinate across all departments/program areas to ensure that key messages reach core audiences—including faculty and staff, current and prospective families, alumni, supporters and other key constituencies—and are being delivered through the appropriate channels.
- Support Development communications, producing print and online tools that cultivate, engage, and recognize donors.
- Oversee the School’s media and public relations efforts and maximize media opportunities to promote the awareness of the school, its programs, events and accomplishments of its students, faculty, staff and alumni.
- Manage the school’s public profile through the website, publications, and social media.
- Oversee the writing and development of concepts for all printed promotional materials and publications to ensure that they align with the marketing and communications plan, conform to the school’s style guidelines, and meet established timelines.
- Develop and enforce brand standards for content, design, digital media, and merchandising.
- Manage internal communications, to include working with leadership and various departments to ensure timely communication to all constituencies.
- Work closely with Chief Advancement Officer and Head of School on crisis communications.
- Other duties, as directed.
- Responsible for managing and drafting executive communications in accordance with Communications plan and as need arise.
- 10+ years of experience in a relevant area of communications, marketing, or institutional advancement, preferably in educational or nonprofit organizations.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills in oral and written form.
- Proven management and administrative competencies.
- Marketing project management experience, including print production, marketing and advertising campaigns, branding, website, broadcast email, and social media.
- Experience with development, implementation, and enforcement of brand standards.
- Experience with website content management systems, metrics and data analysis tools.
- Experience managing social media accounts and tools, such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, Vimeo, YouTube, Instagram, etc.
- Experience with English language writing, usage, and style guidelines, preferably AP Style.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college or university.
- Experience working in a Quaker educational institution or nonprofit, a plus.
- Ability to work some evenings/weekends throughout the year.
The Advancement Department at Germantown Friends School is responsible for all Development, Communications and Marketing activities, reinforcing and building relationships with a range of audiences, and, ultimately, helping create lifelong connections with the school.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact info of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Communications and Marketing” in the subject line.
Germantown Friends School is an equal-opportunity employer committed to diversity in its student body, faculty and staff. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected class status. People demonstrating a commitment to diversity and multiculturalism in education are encouraged to apply. For more information about the school, please visit our website at www.germantownfriends.org.
Job FunctionMarketing & Communications