About Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders (“School Leaders”) is a nonprofit organization that develops, engages, and retains principals and system leaders who transform schools, dramatically improve student outcomes, and drive systemic change to prepare all Philadelphia students for college, career, and life. Our fundamental belief is that Philadelphia’s principals and school system leaders change students’ lives. Through an investment in results-driven leadership development experiences, the Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders empowers individuals to drive student outcomes and advance equity in Philadelphia’s district, charter, and faith-based schools. Our flagship experience, the Neubauer Fellowship in Educational Leadership, provides proven principals with the resources and guidance to sharpen their leadership capacities. The Fellowship is a transformative two-year experience that develops critical leadership skills needed to elevate school performance and student outcomes in their schools and across the city. Fellows receive best-in-class professional development and build relationships with a network of outstanding peers who share strategies and problem-solve with one another. Through Leaders of Leaders, we support principal supervisors to effectively supervise and develop principals, improve principal practice, and increase student outcomes. Across our programs, School Leaders serves over 150 educational leaders in Philadelphia who collectively impact nearly 100,000 students each and every day.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations will play a key role in developing operational capacity and supporting the organization’s strategic growth. As School Leaders expands in size and programs, we seek an experienced Director of Operations to design and enhance systems, processes, and tools to help us operate efficiently and effectively. This position will oversee operations, finance, human resources, and technology.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Director of Operations’ responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
Operations and Technology
- Develop, implement, and monitor operational systems and processes
- Design standardized processes, templates, and tools to support efficient and effective performance
- Recognize and anticipate operational opportunities and challenges, generating solutions for improvement
- Manage consultants to identify, implement, and maintain updated technology systems and infrastructure
- Maximize internal systems and knowledge management, including calendars, Dropbox, Google Drive, and Salesforce
- Maintain physical and virtual office spaces, including furniture, technology, and office supplies
Accounting and Finance
- Support annual budget forecasting and planning to ensure efficient resource allocation
- Manage budget – enter and review financial transactions, monitor cash flow, anticipate variances
- Review organizational and staff expense accounts and reimbursements
- Oversee financial reporting for Board of Directors, grants, and contracts
- Manage contracts and relationships with external non-program vendors and partners
- Manage external accountant and auditor
Human Resources and Organizational Development
- Serve as point person on human resources, including payroll, benefits administration, and compliance
- Support strategic talent management, including the creation of human resource policies, processes, tools, and templates
- Develop processes and tools to support performance management, individual goal setting aligned to organizational goals, and progress monitoring of milestones
- Lead implementation of multi-year strategic plan and regular reporting on progress towards goals
- Supervise and support Operations Manager
Additionally, the Director of Operations will fulfill any other responsibilities as needed or assigned by the Executive Director.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following competencies:
- Passionately believes that all students can achieve at high levels
- Exhibits a strong focus on goals and results – including a track record of meeting or exceeding goals – and holds self personally accountable
- Designs and implements operational systems and processes that support efficiency and productivity
- Demonstrates excellent analytical skills, data-driven decision-making, and judgment
- Communicates effectively in both written and verbal communication – tailors message for audience, context, and mode of communication
- Builds positive relationships with diverse stakeholders and maintains a service orientation
- Demonstrates excellent project management and implementation skills – works efficiently, maintains attention to detail, and is able to plan, multi-task, adapt, and balance requests from many stakeholders
- Demonstrates an entrepreneurial mindset and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Exhibits a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Maintains a positive attitude, flexibility, and humor
The ideal candidate will have the following experience:
- 5 or more years of progressively increasing operational or financial leadership experience in a growing organization, preferably in a non-profit setting
- Demonstrable track record of developing, implementing, and managing operational systems and processes to ensure maximum efficiency and productivity
- Significant experience with at least several of the following functions: operations, finance, human resources, legal services, and technology
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office and Google-based applications
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in business or related field preferred
Please send your resume and a role-specific cover letter or call (215) 965-7945 for more information. Applications to this position will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Compensation is competitive and based on experience. The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. offers a comprehensive benefits package to all employees.
The Philadelphia Academy of School Leaders, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information about School Leaders, please visit our website at phillyschoolleaders.org.