The Philadelphia Charter School for Arts & Sciences seeks a full-time Special Education
teacher to join the Elementary School/Middle School teaching team at our neighborhood
campus located at 1197 Haworth St. At Arts & Sciences, students in grades K-8 engage in a
unique educational program designed to grow the next generation of creative leaders, and
where students focus on the arts and sciences as major subjects alongside a
technology-infused, standards-driven academic curriculum. Our teachers are creative,
passionate, professional educators that believe every student has specific intelligences that
must be nurtured and that all students should have an equal opportunity to achieve their
own innate potential.
Duties and Responsibilities
String Theory Schools teaching candidates…
● are passionate about creative arts and sciences
● are undaunted by urban challenges and dynamic change
● value multi-disciplinary collaboration
● know technology can transform learning experiences
● apply feedback and constructive criticism with grace
● understand that hard work and fun are not mutually exclusive
● accept responsibility for student growth
● not only think outside the box, but can find compelling reasons why the box isn’t
● Experience in both behavior modification and emotional support.
● Experience with consistent progress monitoring and best practices in Special
● Develop vigorous courses, plans, projects, assignments, and assessments.
● Collaborate with general education teachers (as a co-teacher and/or consultant) to
refine and implement high-quality curriculum aligned to standards and competencies.
● Write and implement high-quality Individualized Educational Plans.
● Effectively implement FBA/PBSP, 504 Service Agreements, and GIEPs.
● Build relationships with students and families through thoughtful and frequent
● Experience working in diverse settings and/or commitment to improving one’s own
● Ability to use or willingness to learn technology integration to improve teaching and
● Analyze and regularly use both qualitative and quantitative data to inform your
● Cultivate higher order thinking skills through inquiry
● Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree
● PA Certification in both Special Education and Elementary Education or Specific
● 1-3 years experience with Special Education students
● Wilson Language System (preferred)
● Criminal history, child abuse and FBI clearances (Acts 34, 151 and FBI)
● Access to consistent coaching in instruction and technology integration
● Access to best-in-class technology resources and a physical framework designed with
innovative learning in mind
● Excellent health benefits (for both you and your family), retirement benefits, and
School TypePublic Charter