About Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, a college preparatory, Catholic school for students of all faiths, nurtures and challenges young people to recognize and realize their full potential as they learn to love others, grow in their faiths, and serve the common good.
Each student participates in the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP), which offers a weekly work study experience for all four years. Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking dedicated, intellectually curious and mission-driven educators who are open to growth and desire to be part of our committed community. As part of the faculty, they will have an opportunity to continue to develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising
educational options for young men and women. Candidates should have an appreciation of the school’s mission and a commitment to the values of Catholic education.
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking dedicated, intellectually curious and mission-driven educators who are open to growth, committed to equity and inclusion, and who reflect and/or celebrate our rich cultural diversity. As part of the faculty, they will have an opportunity to continue to develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising educational options for young people.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of best practices in the teaching and learning of [content area] as well as experience in the classroom or in education. They will also have experience working with students from diverse socio-economic backgrounds. The English teacher is a 10-month role and reports to the principal.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Promote high expectations, demonstrate a caring attitude, and establish an environment that supports social, emotional, and academic development in students.
- Develop standards-based, data-driven annual, unit, and lesson plans.
- Plan and implement rigorous, engaging, high-impact lessons that accelerate student growth and differentiate for the needs of individual students.
- Develop assessments linked to course standards, analyze student performance, and design appropriate instructional responses to assessment results.
- Reflect on teaching practices through regular instructional coaching meetings.
- Communicate regularly with parents/families to share academic progress and develop a supportive home-school relationship.
- Collaborate in the English team’s literacy renewal project by working on new curriculum materials, participating in monthly team meetings, using assessment data to evaluate the implementation of the new curriculum, and engaging in other aspects of the project.
- Participate in other roles related to being a part of the school community, including attending campus ministry retreats, supporting work study initiatives, and leading student clubs.
- Supervise students within the classroom and other assigned areas.
- Participate actively in the professional community through collaboration with colleagues in a range of contexts.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Successful applicants will embody the mission-commitment, openness to growth, dedication, drive, flexibility, creativity, love, joy, and resilience that are central to the character of our staff. In addition they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- A genuine and strong commitment to the mission of Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School.
- Competency in designing, implementing, and assessing curricula to serve a heterogeneous student population diverse in culture, religion, and ability.
- Proficiency in using technology in the classroom to enhance student learning (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, databases, online textbooks, and educational websites).
- Strong interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Complete Virtus training and pass a background check.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in or related to assigned courses.
- Teacher certification preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area.
- Prior successful teaching experience.
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
- Functioning in classroom space – walking, sitting, standing, reaching;
- Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing;
- Must be able to stand for up to two hours instructing a classroom of learners;
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs on a frequent basis.
To apply for the English teacher position at Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, please submit a PDf of the following documents in an email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Resume or CV;
- Cover letter expressing interest in this position;
- Three references including name, title, relationship to applicant, phone number, and email address of each;
- Response to the following prompts:
- Describe your philosophy of education and explain how you hope to put it into practice as a member of the Cristo Rey Philadelphia team. (Maximum Response: 500 words)
- Over the past ten years we have assembled a team of experienced educators who maintain high expectations for our students and work tirelessly to support each student’s learning, growth, and development. We have built a mission-driven culture that is open to growth, dedicated, driven, flexible, creative, loving, joyful, and resilient. Our team is comprised of individuals who are not afraid to fail and who dare to dream big. We push ourselves to be constantly learning, reflecting, creating and developing. We challenge our students and ourselves to believe, to dream, to lead, and to serve. Why should you be part of this team? (Maximum Response: 500 Words)
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is an equal-opportunity employer with excellent benefits and a mission-driven culture that values community and initiative. Salary is commensurate with experience.