About Philadelphia Hebrew Public Charter School
Hebrew Public Charter Schools for Global Citizens. Hebrew Public is a national network of diverse-by-design public charter schools that teach children of all backgrounds to become productive global citizens. Our schools are models of racial and economic integration, academic excellence, and foreign language learning.
Hebrew Public’s network currently contains thirteen schools in four states and the District of Columbia, serving more than 2,500 students. In New York City, we serve as the Charter Management Organization for schools in Brooklyn and Harlem.
The network’s first school in Philadelphia, Philadelphia Hebrew Public, opened in 2019, serving 156 students in kindergarten and 1st grade. The school will expand to 4th grade in 2022-23 and will add a grade level each year until it ultimately serves grades K to 8 in the 2026-27 school year. PHP provides students with a sophisticated core curriculum in English Language Arts, mathematics, Modern Hebrew, the sciences, social studies, art, music, and physical education.
This is an exciting time to join Philadelphia Hebrew Public in its fourth year. Join a remarkable community of educators and social changemakers who are passionate about meaningful integration and global education and are relentlessly committed to ensuring students from all backgrounds attain high levels of academic achievement. We select individuals who share our vision and are willing to put in the hard work to achieve it. We are seeking a driven Elementary Hebrew Teacher for the 2022-2023 school year that operates with a high sense of urgency and possesses a strong work ethic. The School is fully committed to a culturally diverse faculty and student body. The school is eager to consider applications from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and submit weekly lesson plans that reflect the school’s proficiency-based curriculum and that are based on current second language acquisition principles;
- Conduct immersive Hebrew lessons, and anytime throughout the school day, communicate with students exclusively in Hebrew;
- Analyze, design and document formative and summative assessments to monitor achievement and language performance;
- Maximize learning time through effective classroom management;
- Provide an inviting, exciting, learning environment using varied instructional techniques and developmentally appropriate strategies;
- Mastery/deep knowledge in instructional subject area, with an undergraduate major or minor or graduate degree in the subject;
- Evidence of student achievement growth in previous teaching roles;
- Strong desire to collaborate with other faculty and instructional leaders to discuss student work and ensure curricular coherence;
- Strong desire to engage families through intentional relationship building and ongoing communication;
- Passion for his/her subject and the ability to connect with and motivate, individually and collectively, a diverse group of students;
- A strong commitment to all students with the belief that all students can learn and must be held to high academic standards;
- Boundless energy and enthusiasm for working with students and other adults in the building;
- Commitment to professional growth through self-reflection, receptiveness to feedback and a continuous desire to improve; and
- Demonstrate a solutions-oriented mindset and flexible thinking when faced with challenges.
- Participates in the development of curriculum and assesses its effectiveness in the classroom.
- A person who believes in the critical importance of diversity in the life of a school
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required; Masters degree preferred
- Elementary and/or Middle School teaching experience preferred
- Hold PA teacher certification or working towards certification is preferred
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong communication skills in English and a native or near-native level of fluency in Hebrew
- Legally authorized to work in the USA
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be highly competitive and commensurate with experience.
Hebrew Public is committed to building a diverse team that reflects the communities we serve. Candidates of color and those from backgrounds that are underrepresented in school leadership roles are particularly encouraged to apply.
School TypePublic Charter