About Girard College
Girard College is a full-scholarship boarding school for students from qualified families of limited financial resources. Girard College’s mission is to prepare scholarship students for advanced education and life as informed, ethical and productive citizens through a rigorous education program that promotes intellectual, social and emotional growth. Girard College prepares its students to complete a post-secondary degree, maximizing their ability to pursue chosen careers and to be engaged citizens.
Girard College seeks an innovative and collaborative Math Educator to join our team to grow a project-based approach mathematics. This individual should have a willingness to experiment and a comfort with technology. The math teacher serves as a mentor, spending portions of classes checking in with individual students and rarely lectures. The high school is a small team of approximately 20 instructors that support 120 students so an ability to collaborate is crucial to this role’s success. The position reports directly to the Head of High School.
Experience teaching some of the following courses are desirable: Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II, Precalculus, Calculus, Statistics
Duties and Responsibilities
Academic Achievement and Character Development:
- Create a positive, achievement-oriented and structured learning environment
- Motivate students to achieve high academic and behavioral standards
- Investment in students and families in order to achieve our standard for academic success, and to meet our Core Values
- Utilize data to drive instruction and learning intervention
- Design and implement unit and lesson plans in collaboration with grade/subject teams
A Mindset for Professional Growth and Development:
- Collaborate with building leader, instructional coaches, grade level/department chairs and school team to continuously improve instructional, culture-building and leadership skills
- Participate enthusiastically in all professional development, instructional planning, teacher/residential collaborative team meetings, and data analysis meetings
- Function as a school wide partner in helping to raise student achievement and character for all students in the school. Reinforcing school-wide expectations and volunteering to take on additional activities as needed to improve school academics and culture.
- High level of personal organization and planning.
- Team player: maturity, humility, grit, flexible, follow-through, sense of humor, open to feedback and a “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Strong belief in the Girard College mission and education model.
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for a growth mindset towards personal/professional growth, student outcomes, and subject matter.
Teaching experience highly preferred with a proven record of high achievement
Minimum requirement of a Bachelor’s degree in Education, in the specific core content job area
Currently possess or be eligible for State of Pennsylvania teaching certification