About Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School
String Theory Schools
Growing the Next Generation of Creative Leaders
As a non-profit education design and management organization, we have committed ourselves to bringing the arts and innovation to the children of Philadelphia.
Our first school opened in the Fall of 2000 with the goal of offering students an arts immersive curriculum that would allow them to thrive academically and artistically. After a successful twelve years of growth, String Theory Schools was created to bring the mission of our original charter to more students and their families in Philadelphia. Today, String Theory Schools operates two charter schools that offer students a comprehensive educational program that emphasizes equally academic and artistic excellence. We are passionate about honoring each student as an individual and educating all students so that they reach their highest potentials.
Philadelphia Performing Arts: K-12 Charter School, Three Campuses: East Campus (K-1), West Campus (2-5), Vine Street Campus (6-12)
The Philadelphia Charter School for Arts and Sciences: K-8 Neighborhood Charter School
- To Educate each student according to age and development so that learning and growth are united.
- To Integrate the developing mind and body of the student with academics and the performing arts and sciences.
- To Ensure each student’s excellence in core and academic skills.
- To Awaken and preserve the spirit of our students through the visual and digital arts, vocal arts, instrumental music, creative writing, classical ballet, foreign language, innovations in the field of science, all intertwined with technology, and;
- To Nourish this spirit and curiosity so that students continue to flourish long after the end of formal training.
(Multiple Positions Available)
Philadelphia Performing Arts: A String Theory Charter School seeks a full-time special education teacher to join the High School teaching team at the Vine Street Campus (1600 Vine Street). At Vine Street, students engage in a unique educational environment designed to grow the next generation of creative leaders, and where students focus on the arts and sciences as major subjects alongside a technology-infused, project-based, standards- and competency-driven academic curriculum. Our teachers are creative, passionate, professional educators that believe every student has specific intelligences that must be nurtured and that all students should have an equal opportunity to achieve their own innate potential.
Duties and Responsibilities
String Theory Schools teaching candidates…
● are passionate about creative arts and sciences
● are undaunted by urban challenges and dynamic change
● value multi-disciplinary collaboration
● know technology can transform learning experiences
● apply feedback and constructive criticism with grace
● understand that hard work and fun are not mutually exclusive
● accept responsibility for student growth
● not only think outside the box, but can find compelling reasons why the box isn’t necessary
● Develop vigorous plans, projects, assignments, and assessments.
● Collaborate with grade level teachers to refine and implement high-quality curriculum aligned to standards.
● Build relationships with students and families through thoughtful and frequent communication
● Experience working in diverse settings and/or commitment to improving one’s own cultural competence
● Ability to use or willingness to learn technology integration to improve teaching and learning
● Ability to effectively manage a classroom where inquiry, differentiation, and authentic learning are high values.
● Analyze and regularly use both qualitative and quantitative data to inform your practice
● Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree
● PA Certification in both Special Education 7-12 or Special Education N-12, additional subject area is preferred
● 1-3 years experience with Special Education students
● Wilson Language System (preferred)
● Criminal history, child abuse and FBI clearances (Acts 34, 151 and FBI)
● Access to consistent coaching in instruction and technology integration
● Access to best-in-class technology resources and a physical framework designed with innovative learning in mind
● Excellent health benefits (for both you and your family), retirement benefits, and more!
School TypePublic Charter