About Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, a college preparatory, Catholic school for students of all faiths, nurtures and challenges young people to recognize and realize their full potential as they learn to love others, grow in their faiths, and serve the common good. Founded in 2012 and based in a beautiful campus in the Tioga neighborhood of Philadelphia, the school serves over 525 students in grades 9-12 from across the city of Philadelphia as well as Camden.
Each student participates in the Corporate Work Study Program (CWSP), an integral part of the Cristo Rey model in which every student works one day a week throughout their four years at the school. While their students are at work, teachers use the time for lesson planning and preparation, student support meetings, and collaboration.
The Ideal Candidate:
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is seeking dedicated, intellectually curious and mission-driven educators who are open to growth, committed to equity and inclusion, and who reflect and/or celebrate our rich cultural diversity. As part of the faculty, they will have an opportunity to continue to develop one of Philadelphia’s most promising educational options for young people.
The ideal candidate will have knowledge of best practices in the teaching and learning of history as well as experience in the classroom or in education. They will also have experience working with students from diverse socio-economic backgrounds. The History teacher reports to the principal.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Promote high expectations, demonstrate a caring attitude, and establish an environment that supports social, emotional, and academic development in students.
- Develop standards-based, data-driven annual, unit, and lesson plans.
- Plan and implement rigorous, engaging, high-impact lessons that accelerate student growth and differentiate for the needs of individual students.
- Develop assessments linked to course standards, analyze student performance, and design appropriate instructional responses to assessment results.
- Reflect on teaching practices through regular instructional coaching meetings.
- Communicate regularly with parents/families to share academic progress and develop a supportive home-school relationship.
- Participate in other roles related to being a part of the school community, including attending campus ministry retreats, supporting work study initiatives, and leading student clubs.
- Supervise students within the classroom and other assigned areas.
- Participate actively in the professional community through collaboration with colleagues in a range of contexts, including but not limited to the History Content Team.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Successful applicants will embody the mission: commitment, openness to growth, dedication, drive, flexibility, creativity, love, joy, and resilience that are central to the character of our staff. In addition they will meet or exceed the following requirements:
- A genuine and strong commitment to the mission of Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School.
- Competency in designing, implementing, and assessing curricula to serve a heterogeneous student population diverse in culture, religion, and ability.
- Proficiency in using technology in the classroom to enhance student learning (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, databases, online textbooks, and educational websites).
- Strong interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Complete Virtus training and pass a background check.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in or related to assigned courses, such as but not limited to: History, International Relations, Political Science, etc.
- Teacher certification preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in subject area.
- Prior successful teaching experience.
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required such as:
- Functioning in classroom space – walking, sitting, standing, reaching;
- Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing;
- Must be able to stand for up to two hours instructing a classroom of learners;
- Must be able to lift up to 25lbs on a frequent basis.
To apply for the history teacher position at Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School, please submit a PDf of the following documents in an email to email@example.com:
- Resume or CV
- Cover letter expressing interest in this position
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School is an equal-opportunity employer with excellent benefits and a mission-driven culture that values community and initiative. Salary is commensurate with experience.
NOTICE TO APPLICANT: COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School requires that all eligible employees and volunteers receive vaccination of COVID-19 as a condition of employment, subject to lawful exemptions.