About Wissahickon Charter School
Wissahickon Charter School's first campus, Fernhill, opened in 2002 and serves 480 K-8 students from across Philadelphia. Our second K-8 campus, Awbury, opened in the fall of 2014. The mission of Wissahickon Charter School (WCS) is to provide a community of learning that stimulates and builds the child's intellectual, social, and character development. Wissahickon Charter Schools are planned around three essential elements: an environmental focus that allows students to experience the curriculum, recognition of service learning projects as key in students' success, and an emphasis on parents as partners in the learning experiences of their children.
Wissahickon Charter School is seeking Lower School Apprentice Teachers for the 2022-23 school year. Apprentice Teachers support students in Literacy or Math. The Apprentice Teacher will support teachers and students in the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade. This position is a wonderful opportunity for recent graduates or career changers who are looking for a pathway into the teaching profession. Candidates currently enrolled in or recently graduated from teacher education programs are strongly encouraged to apply. This position provides invaluable classroom experience and professional development. Experience as an Apprentice Teacher for one to two years is great preparation for becoming a lead teacher in the future.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Key Responsibilities
- Collaborative planning with 3rd through 5th grade lead teachers.
- Partner with lead teachers to implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Provide one-on-one and small group instruction in content area to students in grades 3rd through 5th for additional academic support
- Work closely with lead teachers to assess, track and analyze student progress
- Collaborate with the 3rd-5th grade team to ensure student growth in subject area of focus
- Participate in ongoing professional development
- Provide substitute teaching coverage when 3rd-5th grade teachers are out
- As instructional skills gradually increase, may be responsible for providing whole group instruction to students in select subjects
- Complete administrative duties, including but not limited to data entry, homework review, filing, and copying.
- Accompany the students to recess as needed
- Assist lead teachers with other student responsibilities as requested
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Strong content knowledge and skill in literacy
- Experience working with students, in a school setting preferred
- Ability to work with a variety of colleagues who have diverse teaching and organizational styles
- Commitment to learning about and consistently implementing Wissahickon Charter Schools’ behavioral management plan
- Solid technology skills and the ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Reflective and open to feedback and coaching
- Appreciation of the unique strengths and challenges of 3rd-5th graders
- Pennsylvania Criminal Record Check, Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance, FBI clearance and proof of a negative TB test.
- Willing and able to comply with all of WCS’ COVID-19 safety protocols
- Interest in the mission of Wissahickon Charter School, and a belief that all children can learn
School TypePublic Charter