About Independence Charter School - Center City (ICS- CC)
Independence Charter School (ICS) is a community-based K-8 public charter school of academic excellence, centrally located in Philadelphia and serving a diverse community of learners. ICS provides an intellectually-stimulating curriculum with a global focus designed to develop independent, thoughtful global citizens. We emphasize second language acquisition and integrate arts, ideas, and histories from around the world. Independence Charter School fosters equity and excellence in learning by embracing global citizenship, bilingual education, rigorous academics, and creative expression through the arts.
ICS is seeking a culturally proficient lower school counselor who will focus on students in Kindergarten – 2nd grade to join the 2022-2023 staff. The lower school counselor (K-2) will implement a counseling program to assist students in their personal, social, and academic development. The counselor will be working under the direction of the Principal.
Duties and Responsibilities
K-2 Student/Family Support
- Coordinate regular Student Success Team (SST) meetings and track progress of interventions
- Respond to requests from ICS staff and parents for consultation regarding students’ social/emotional well-being as it relates to school success
- Mediate and improve relationships between students, parents, and teachers.
- In coordination with the Dean, intervene in situations of student conflict, potential bullying, etc.
- Identify services and supports for students and families struggling socially and emotionally
- Assist the Middle School Counselor in the implementation of a cross-age peer mentoring program
- In coordination with the Intermediate and Middle School Counselors, supervise the ICS Big Brother/Big Sister program
- Execute individual and small group intervention sessions in areas of need such as bullying, divorce, death & grief, trauma, etc.
- Serve as the point person for K-2 students with mental health crises and for DHS referrals. Serve as the back-up point person for 3rd-8th grade students with mental health crises.
- In coordination with the Special Education Coordinator & Student Support Specialist, provide social/emotional support for Special Education students, as prescribed in their IEP
- Create special events for lower school students such as Career Day, Mix It Up at Lunch Day, etc.
- Coordinate teacher-led or counselor-led lessons for social-emotional learning, including supporting teachers with Second Step curriculum implementation.
- In coordination with Intermediate and Middle School Counselors, oversee adherence to the ICS attendance policy, intervene with students and families as necessary, and alert Principal about chronic attendance problems
- Manage urgent situations involving staff and/or students, as needed
Other Duties, as assigned (i.e., assisting with arrival/dismissal, conducting small groups during Reading Intervention time, etc)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Counseling or Social Work
- PA School Counseling Certification (Elementary)
Demonstrated Ability to:
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Make connections with families and students from diverse cultural, racial, economic and other backgrounds
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others
- Perform all other related work delegated or required to accomplish the objectives of the total school program
- Take initiative and to problem solve
Apply: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
School TypePublic Charter