About Young Scholars Charter School
Who are we?
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students
from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of Young Scholars is to provide a personalized middle school
education that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of
active citizenship. We aim to inspire and equip every student to lead a life of achievement, service and success. Our
structured and nurturing community, comprehensive programming and rigorous academic curriculum are designed to
build self-motivated citizens, eager learners and strong leaders – regardless of circumstance. Our graduates are
driven young people who are prepared for the future demands of high school, college, career and, eventually, the
We seek to provide project-based learning and high-quality instruction to help students grow as learners and citizens.
We believe in rigorous and culturally relevant curriculum where all students are given an opportunity to reach high
academic success. Our teachers engage in extensive planning, strong instructional execution, and common skillbased assessments. Our curriculum engages students in building their academic proficiency and social-emotional
skills to be successful.
Who are we looking for?
We are currently looking for a passionate Science Teacher to join the YSCS team and work with us to Imagine New
Possibilities in Education. YSCS is a unique and innovative educational environment with a dual homeroom partner
structure, regular coaching by an instructional leader, and extensive elective and sports offerings. All staff members
are considered critical players in decision making processes and have the opportunity to influence the overall
direction of the school.
Join the Young Scholars Charter School team and help us Imagine New Possibilities in education. We have
reimagined our schedule to be more sustainable for teachers and better for students.
What makes YSCS a great place to work?
• ALL Science and Social Studies teachers have a maximum roster of 100 students and an average class
size of 25 students. Why? We want you to build stronger and more meaningful relationships with your students.
• ALL Science and Social Studies teachers are responsible for one grade and one content. Why? We want
you to be experts in the classes you teach.
• ALL Science and Social Studies teachers have 120 minutes of prep time daily and common planning time with content teams. Why? We know that collaboration for teachers is important and prep periods during the day make the job more sustainable.
• ALL staff members have the opportunity to influence the overall direction of the school. Why? We know that to have a wonderful work environment, you are critical in the decision-making process at the school. This year’s reimagined and more sustainable calendar and schedule were developed by teachers for teachers!
Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan and provide excellent instruction, making every minute count in your classroom;
• Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments, and assessments based on state
standards and school-wide goals for student achievement;
• Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each student’s academic growth;
• Set and reinforce clear expectations for student engagement;
• Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school leaders;
• Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement and achievement;
• Reward positive student engagement and hold students accountable using school-wide systems;
• Engage with family members regularly and participate in school-wide family engagement activities including
phone calls to family members and school-based meetings with families;
• Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to instructional planning;
• Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
• The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement;
• A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic standards;
• Resilience and professionalism;
• Commitment to school transformation and continuous improvement;
• Open to feedback and coaching;
• Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement;
• Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Experience driving student achievement results;
• Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field;
• Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher certification.
• Competitive salary and benefits package;
• 3-4 prep periods a day;
• Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
• Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
• 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
• Google Education platform for online assignment management;
• The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are raising the bar for student achievement.
• Young Scholars Charter School is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy school environment as we
transition back to in-person learning. However, as with the community at large, cases of COVID-19 in school
cannot be fully prevented, we can only minimize the risk or spread of the disease. In addition to the School
District’s and CDC Guidelines, Young Scholars have taken additional precautions to protect all staff and
School TypePublic Charter