About Springside Chestnut Hill Academy
Springside Chestnut Hill Academy (SCH) is an independent school offering a rigorous college preparatory program that delivers an unparalleled academic experience.
Position Title: Middle School Science Teacher – Long Term Sub
Position Status: Full-time 11/23 & 3/24-5/24
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Reports To: Department Chair and Head of Middle School
Teach 3 sections of 6th grade Earth Science and 1 section of 5th grade Science to Middle School students through collaboration with a team that is a leader in science education. Follow lesson plans, working with co-teachers, in line with curriculum objectives and SCH science curriculum maps. The parental leave is split into 2 parts: last 2 weeks of November and 10 weeks mid-March-June.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Teaches 4 MS science sections using daily lesson plans, curricular materials and assessments provided by the maternity leave teacher.
- Demonstrates, models, and designs learning experiences that foster 21st century STEM learning skills in students.
- Demonstrates, models, and designs learning experiences that foster diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Integrates technology as an essential and regular component of student learning experiences.
- Prepares, administers, corrects, and records assessment results in a regular and timely manner.
- Provides timely and regular feedback on students’ progress toward skill mastery.
- Teaches rules of conduct and creates a warm and welcoming learning environment.
- Maintains order and enforces school policies in the classroom and throughout common areas of the campus.
- Discusses students’ academic and behavioral progress with parents/guardians as needed.
- Keeps daily attendance and records of students’ progress.
- Attends work and arrives/departs work at the appropriate times as determined by the immediate supervisor.
- May serve as an advisor to approximately 10 6th grade students in the Middle School Boys division.
- Attends grade-level team meetings to discuss students’ progress.
- Serves lunch/recess and break duty and other duties as assigned.
- Completes additional responsibilities as needed and assigned by the Department Chair and Division Head.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to develop and implement curriculum, assessments, and utilize teaching methodologies/best practices.
- Strong background in life sciences, especially biomedical related, with advanced degree preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Knowledge of applicable safety procedures.
- Ability to provide a supportive, caring, and positive environment for students and to maintain classroom discipline.
- Strong knowledge of personal computer skills with experience in the use of web-based applications, including course management programs, Google Drive applications, MS Office applications and email.
- Comfortable with a team-based work structure; ability to demonstrate flexibility on the job.
- Demonstrates initiative, is conscientious, and provides complete follow-through on areas of responsibility.
- Demonstrated sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members with a continuous focus on healthy relationship building.
- Demonstrated deep understanding of cultural competency skills and enthusiasm for issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- At minimum, a bachelor’s degree in a life science field.
- At least two years of experience teaching STEM related courses.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment
- Be able to occasionally lift up to 30 lbs.
- Regularly use close and distance vision.
- Able to move around a classroom and other school environments.
Interested candidates, please e-mail a cover letter, resume, statement of education philosophy, and contact information for three references to email@example.com.
Springside Chestnut Hill Academy is an Equal Opportunity Employer.