About Young Scholars Charter School
Young Scholars Charter School (YSCS) is a free, lottery-based, open-enrollment charter school serving students
from across Philadelphia in grades 6-8. The mission of YSCS is to provide a personalized middle school education
that challenges, engages and prepares all students to passionately pursue their dreams and lead a life of active
citizenship. We aim to inspire and equip every student to lead a life of achievement, service and success. Our
structured and nurturing community, comprehensive programming and rigorous academic curriculum are designed to
build self-motivated citizens, eager learners and strong leaders – regardless of circumstance. Our graduates are
driven young people who are prepared for the future demands of high school, college, career and, eventually, the
We seek to provide project-based learning and high-quality instruction to help students grow as learners and citizens.
We believe in rigorous and culturally relevant curriculum where all students are given an opportunity to reach high
academic success. Our teachers engage in extensive planning, strong instructional execution, and common skillbased assessments. Our curriculum engages students in building their academic proficiency and social-emotional
skills to be successful.
YSCS is seeking a passionate and hardworking Middle School Spanish Teacher to join the YSCS family for the 2022-23 school year!
Each core subject teacher at Young Scholars is responsible for a single content area, grade level and a maximum roster of 75 students, an average class size being 25 students, to foster strong student relationships and prioritize deep content expertise. Additionally, all teachers receive up to 2.5 hours of preparation time daily, collaborative planning time, and regular supports and coaching from a member of the school leadership team. YSCS is a unique and innovative educational environment with a dual homeroom partner structure, content coaches, and extensive elective and sports offerings. All staff members are considered critical players in decision making processes and have the opportunity to influence the overall direction of the school.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Plan and provide excellent instruction, making every minute count in your classroom;
• Develop detailed lesson plans, materials, homework assignments, and assessments based on state
standards and school-wide goals for student achievement;
• Provide differentiated learning opportunities to support each student’s academic growth;
• Set and reinforce clear expectations for student engagement;
• Continuously improve based on feedback and coaching from school leaders;
• Collaborate with other teachers to increase student engagement and achievement;
• Reward positive student engagement and hold students accountable using school-wide systems;
• Engage with family members regularly and participate in school-wide family engagement activities including
phone calls to family members and school-based meetings with families;
• Outstanding instructional skills and data-driven approach to instructional planning;
• Mastery and enthusiasm for content/subject area;
• The ability to motivate students and cultivate a culture of achievement;
• A belief that ALL students should be held to high academic standards;
• Resilience and professionalism;
• Commitment to school transformation and continuous improvement;
• Open to feedback and coaching;
• Strong sense of personal accountability for student achievement;
• Collaborative approach to problem solving.
Educational Background and Work Experience
• Experience driving student achievement results;
• Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field;
• Must hold or be actively working to obtain PA teacher certification.
• Competitive salary and benefits package;
• 3-4 prep periods a day;
• Professional collaboration with grade and content teams;
• Weekly coaching and ongoing professional development;
• 1:1 Chromebooks in every classroom;
• Google Education platform for online assignment management;
• The opportunity to maximize your impact in schools where we are raising the bar for student achievement.
School TypePublic Charter