About Boys and Girls Club of Philadelphia
Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia has served our city’s youth since 1887. Our Germantown, Wissahickon, and Nicetown units are three of the original clubs that were part of the founding of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America more than 100 years ago. While much has changed since we first began, one thing remains constant:
GREAT FUTURES START HERE!
The OST (Out of School Time) Youth Development Assistant is responsible for planning and implementing a wide variety of programs focused on Art, STEM, Healthy Lifestyles, and Literacy. He/She should ensure that youth development principles are incorporated into programs and activities. He/she will work under the general supervision of the Program Director. The OST Program Assistant must be available daily to implement after school programming between 2:30pm and 6:30pm.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the planning, implementation and delivery of exciting and engaging programs and activities for youth ages 5-18 with a focus on promoting healthy lifestyles, good character & citizenship, and academic success.
- Creates and maintains lesson plan and structure learning plans s as requested by the Program Director.
- Assists the Program Director in maintaining youth files including enrollment files, attendance files, and youth surveys
- Ensures the incorporation of character development, age appropriate and gender-specific programs and activities.
- Ensures that culturally diverse programs are implemented.
- Provides guidance and discipline to ensure a safe and positive environment for youth.
- Maintains and cares for applicable equipment and supplies.
- The Program Assistant is willing to work in a variety of program areas as needed.
- Assist in the transportation of kids including, but not limited to, driving, van aides, and walking escorts when necessary.
- Responsible for helping to keep the Clubs clean.
- All BGCP employees are Mandated Reporters, and must report any suspected Child Abuse or Neglect to their direct supervisor.
Performs other related duties as necessary or as assigned by the CEO(s), EVP(s), Unit Director(s), and/or Program Director(s).
Remains flexible and adaptable in work schedules and work assignments as defined by departmental and organizational needs.
Represents Boys & Girls Clubs of Philadelphia in a manner that conveys professionalism, confidentiality, courtesy, fairness, personal integrity, and respect for others.
A. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Associates degree or 60 college credit hours required
- At least 2 years (or 2,500 hours) of experience in child care, youth development, or education programming
B . SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must possess knowledge of youth development principles and practices
- The ability and desire to work with youths 5-18 years of age in a variety of recreational and social
- If the Program Assistant is needed to drive a Club vehicle he/she must be at least 21 years of age and
possess a valid Driver’s License
- QUALITY & PRODUCTIVITY: Provides high quality services, processes and programs while consistently seeking ways to improve outcomes and enhance the organization. Meets or exceeds goals and objectives and consistently engages in productive work effort requiring minimal direction from manager.
- P R O F E S S I O N A L I S M : Demonstrates self-control by maintaining composure in difficult situations; deals calmly and effectively with stressful situations. Projects a professional image of oneself and the organization and demonstrates a positive attitude towards work and the organization.
- A C C O U N T A B I L I T Y : Demonstrates a commitment to the position and accepts responsibility for personal actions. Comes to work on time and ready to work.
- COLLABORATION & TEAMWORK: Supports a positive team environment in which employees participate, respect and cooperate with each other to achieve desired results. Builds and sustains cooperative working relationships and demonstrates a positive attitude in work assignment and interaction with others.
- C O M M U N I C A T I O N : Expresses self in a knowledgeable, coherent, and professional manner. Works to resolve conflict and promotes an open and honest environment for feedback and constructive criticism.
- L E A D E R S H I P : Provides direction and motivation and sets an example through open communication and modeling best practices. Provides appropriate advice, on-going feedback, support and resources to improve effectiveness of individuals and departments.
- M E M B E R F O C U S : Dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of members. Consistently acts with members in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with members and gains their trust and respect.