About Big Picture Philadelphia
Big Picture Philadelphia provides transformative educational experiences for under-served youth. Its neighborhood high school, Vaux Big Picture High School is located in the Sharswood neighborhood of Philadelphia and currently serves grades 9th through 11th.
Vaux Big Picture High School is a Big Picture Philadelphia School. Big Picture Philadelphia provides transformative educational experiences for under-served youth through its two school sites, Vaux Big Picture High School and el Centro de Estudiantes High School. Big Picture Philadelphia provides transformative educational experiences for under-served high school youth through proven, sustainable educational practices and, in so doing, contributes to Philadelphia’s city-wide educational reform efforts. We are proud members of the national Big Picture Learning network, which successfully serves at-risk youth in more than 60 schools nationwide.
El Centro de Estudiantes High School is a Big Picture Philadelphia school which is situated in the Opportunity Network of the School District of Philadelphia. El Centro is seeking a part-time ELL Teacher who is eager to work in a progressive, student-centered, project-based high school. Candidates must hold a valid PA teacher license in K-12 ELL.
Duties and Responsibilities
● Maintain comprehensive files for each el Centro student who has an ELL designation.
● Administer the Access test annually.
● Consult with Advisors, the Principal, and Special Education teacher about accommodations and instructional strategies for English Language Learners.
● Check in with students on a regular basis and track their progress.
Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement
● Valid PA teacher license in K-12 ESL
● Minimum two (2) years experience working with English language learners
● Commitment to and experience working with youth of color in an urban setting
● Determination to drive student achievement and set high expectations for all students
● Experience teaching in an urban school or other large system
Skills and Abilities
● Ability to be self-guided and decisive while exhibiting cultural awareness
● Knowledge of Big Picture Learning design preferred
● Creativity, teamwork, and out-of-the-box thinking
● Strong verbal and written communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to operate effectively in a diverse, complex, and fast paced work environment
● Understanding of federal, state, and local school law as it applies to English language learners
● Proficiency in common computer software applications and willingness to learn new applications and systems as needed
● Strong analytical, oral, and written communication skills
● Excellent organizational skills, including time management, attention to details, and the ability to balance competing priorities and meet deadlines
● Strong problem solving and strategic thinking skills
Successful applicants will be required to complete and submit the following as a condition of hire:
● PA State Police Background Check (EPATCH)
● Childline Clearance
● FBI Fingerprinting
● Act 71
● Act 126
● Act 168
The English Language Learner (ELL) Coordonator is a part time employee. Pay rate is commensurate with experience. Big Picture Philadelphia provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
School TypePublic District