About American Paradigm Schools - First Philadelphia Prep
American Paradigm Schools is a non-profit, education management organization that supports and serves four charter schools in North and Northeast Philadelphia. The mission of American Paradigm Schools is to develop, manage, and support diverse school communities, who are grounded in literacy to produce academic excellence and expand opportunities for all students. Our vision is world class schools in diverse communities.
A Special Education Teacher develops and provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities; Progress monitors and assesses student progress against instructional objectives and individualized goals; Holds title of IEP Case Manager to assigned students; and co-teaches with the general education teacher.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides Scientific Research-Based Instruction to students with special needs in a small group setting while using data driven instruction.
- Provides specialized instruction to meet the unique needs of students with disabilities in the general education classroom by co-teaching with the general education teacher.
- Progress monitor and assess student progress against instructional objectives and individualized goals.
- Case manages assigned students and follows State mandated procedures (Producing invitations, procedural safeguards, IEP draft, NoRep, etc.) while holding annual IEP meetings and other meetings if deemed necessary.
- Communicate with parents and IEP team daily, weekly, and monthly while providing updated reports and comments on student progress.
- Document any/all communication with families in SIS.
- Attending professional developments relevant to the grade level.
- Developing and maintaining positive relationships with students and families
- Demonstrate active participation in Caring School Community (CSC).
- professional development relevant to grade level and/or content areas(s)
- Adherence to compliance dates, assignments (individual or departmental), and due dates.
- Active participation in CSC, PBIS, and all other school wide initiatives
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Time Management
- Education and training
- Social Perceptiveness
- Learning Strategies.
- Critical Thinking
- Judgment and Decision Making
- Written Expression/Comprehension
- Data analysis
- Special Education Data Management Systems
- Google Suites/Microsoft Office
- Basic office equipment
- Video Conferencing
Education and certifications
- Bachelor Degree
- PA Teaching Certification
- Lifting 20-25 Lbs.
- Moving Up and Down from a seated position
- Restraining students (training required)
- Walking up and down stairs
American Paradigm Schools are Caring School Communities.
Relationships are the foundation of classroom and school life and underpin teaching, learning, and prosocial development. Building relationships and fostering students’ sense of community are a critical part of our work at APS and as such, we have partnered with the Collaborative Classroom to implement the Caring School Community Model in all of our schools.
Caring School Community model builds positive classroom and schoolwide communities while developing students’ social and emotional learning (SEL) skills and competencies. It is designed to help students become caring, responsible members of their school communities and, ultimately, to grow into humane, principled, and skilled citizens of a democratic society. The lessons in the program help faculty and staff create a warm, safe, and disciplined school environment where all community members can develop the skills and dispositions they need to interact constructively with others.
All employees at American Paradigm Schools are expected to be true champions of the Caring School Community Program.
School TypePublic Charter