About Philadelphia Charter School for Arts & Sciences
String Theory Schools
Growing the Next Generation of Creative Leaders
As a non-profit education design and management organization, we have committed ourselves to bringing the arts and innovation to the children of Philadelphia.
Our first school opened in the Fall of 2000 with the goal of offering students an arts immersive curriculum that would allow them to thrive academically and artistically. After a successful twelve years of growth, String Theory Schools was created to bring the mission of our original charter to more students and their families in Philadelphia. Today, String Theory Schools operates two charter schools that offer students a comprehensive educational program that emphasizes equally academic and artistic excellence. We are passionate about honoring each student as an individual and educating all students so that they reach their highest potentials.
Philadelphia Performing Arts: K-12 Charter School, Three Campuses: East Campus (K-1), West Campus (2-5), Vine Street Campus (6-12)
The Philadelphia Charter School for Arts and Sciences: K-8 Neighborhood Charter School
- To Educate each student according to age and development so that learning and growth are united.
- To Integrate the developing mind and body of the student with academics and the performing arts and sciences.
- To Ensure each student’s excellence in core and academic skills.
- To Awaken and preserve the spirit of our students through the visual and digital arts, vocal arts, instrumental music, creative writing, classical ballet, foreign language, innovations in the field of science, all intertwined with technology, and;
- To Nourish this spirit and curiosity so that students continue to flourish long after the end of formal training.
The Philadelphia Charter School for Arts & Sciences seeks a full-time Emotional Support teacher to join the team at our neighborhood campus located at 1197 Haworth St. At Arts & Sciences, students engage in a unique educational environment designed to grow the next generation of creative leaders, and where students focus on the arts and sciences as major subjects alongside a technology-infused, project-based, standards- and competency-driven academic curriculum. Our teachers are creative, passionate, professional educators that believe every student has specific intelligences that must be nurtured and that all students should have an equal opportunity to achieve their own innate potential.
This is a full-time, ten-month position to provide general classroom instruction, interventions, behavior management, social emotional support for students with emotional disturbances.
Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
● Effectively and proactively supervise class structure and schedule
● Maintain ongoing supervision and evaluation of all students, providing timely and constructive feedback to collaborating personnel and to participate in follow-up planning
● Maintain documentation and vigilance of student goals and objectives, monitoring progress and reporting successes
● Monitor and support implementation of prescribed behavior program
● Write IEPs and hold meetings
● Ability to individualize instruction according to cognitive and academic styles of learners.
● Engage students in stimulating, multi-modality learning experiences consistent with prescribed curriculum.
● Use appropriate and timely verbal de-escalation techniques whenever possible.
● Collaborate in a safe physical intervention as necessary.
● Encourage students to embrace multicultural opportunities and experiences.
● Access to consistent coaching in instruction and technology integration
● Access to best-in-class technology resources and a physical framework designed with innovative learning in mind
● Excellent health benefits (for both you and your family), retirement benefits, and more!
● Bachelor’s or Advanced Degree
● Special Education Certification (Required)
● Criminal history, child abuse and FBI clearances (Acts 34, 151 and FBI)
Education and/or Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree in Education or a related field.
● Instructional I Pennsylvania Certification in Special Education K-12
● Valid PA Child Abuse, Criminal Background & FBI Clearance
● Detailed Job Description upon Interview
School TypePublic Charter