Teachers from across Pennsylvania:
You are invited to apply for the Teach Plus Pennsylvania Policy Fellowship, a highly selective leadership opportunity for outstanding Pennsylvania teachers and early childhood educators looking to deepen your knowledge of education policy and gain a voice in decisions that affect your students and the teaching profession.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023
Duties and Responsibilities
About the Pennsylvania Policy Fellowship
In summer 2023, Teach Plus will launch its third full cohort of Policy Fellows in Pennsylvania. This highly selective leadership opportunity is for 30 outstanding teachers looking to deepen their knowledge of education policy and amplify the voices of teacher leaders in Pennsylvania. Policy fellows, who will receive a $1,500 stipend for their commitment, will expand their influence without leaving the classroom through guided work, including:
- Two in-person training sessions, monthly virtual meetings, and smaller, issues-focused working groups.
- Training through expert-led modules on topics such as Storytelling for Impact, Policy 101, Advocacy & Organizing, Evidence-Based Policymaking, Testifying and Meeting with Decision Makers, Op-Ed Writing, & Media Relations
- Direct engagement with key stakeholders and policymakers
- Pursuit of a policy research or advocacy project that addresses a pressing state-level policy issue
2023-24 Policy Focus Areas (tentative)
Early Childhood Education
Expand access and quality of childcare and Pre-K in Pennsylvania in addition to increasing the pipeline of ECE educators.
Ensure adequacy and equity in the state’s education funding system, particularly for underserved students.
Reimagining Teacher Preparation
Identify improvements to teacher preparation to better prepare teachers to be effective, use culturally responsive practices, and persist in the profession.
Culturally Affirming Schools
Increase access to inclusive curriculum and instructional materials, diverse educators, and equitable school policies at the district and state level, with a focus on underserved populations; defend against attacks on marginalized students.
Advancing the Science of Reading
Ensure teachers are trained in the science of reading and that curricula, assessments, and supports are also aligned with the science of reading to support students reading proficiently.
Expanding & Diversifying the Teacher Pipeline
Identify strategies to attract more teachers into the teaching profession, address teacher shortages, and reduce barriers to entry in order to address looming teacher shortages and a lack of diversity in the workforce.
- Be a current educator (early childhood to 12th grade) in a PA public, charter, or early childhood education setting with at least two full years of teaching experience by June 2023
- Have a track record of success teaching students in Pennsylvania
- Be ready to dedicate your time and passion to learning about policy and advocating on behalf of changes that impact students
Phase 1 – Written Application
Complete and submit a written application prior to the deadline: May 1st, 2023. Teach Plus Pennsylvania will host five virtual information sessions prior to the application deadline:
Phase 2 – Interview
Candidates participate in both an individual phone interview and a group activity via Zoom. If advanced, candidates select a day and time that works best for their schedule. Interviews will take place between May 22nd-25th, 2023.
Phase 3 – Final Status Notifications
All candidates will receive notification of their final status (accepted, not accepted, or wait listed) by June 1st, 2023.
Application Deadline: May 1, 2023